History of .270 Winchester Ammunition
Since being introduced in 1925, the .270 Winchester has steadily become one of the world's most popular centerfire rifle cartridges thanks to writer Jack O'Connor's tireless promotion. The dimensions of the .270 are similar to the .30-06, except that it fires a 0.277" caliber bullet versus the bullet of 0.308" diameter in the .30-06. The .270 Winchester has a reputation for mild recoil and effectiveness as a hunting round for most game animals in North America.
The .270 Winchester propels a soft point bullet weighing 130 grains down range at 3,060 feet per second, maintaining a comparatively flat trajectory for longer distances. Bullets weighing between 90 and 160 grains are available with bullet types including SST and Nosler Partition, making the .270 a remarkably versatile cartridge. Performance of the .270 is comparable to the 6.5x55mm Swedish Mauser.
The cartridge was chambered first in the Winchester Model 54 rifle, and has since been chambered in nearly every manufacturer's version of a long action bolt action rifle made since the mid 1900's. Examples include the Remington 700, the Winchester Model 70, CZ 550, Blaser R8, and TC Venture. The .270 has also been chambered in single-shot rifles like the H&R Handi-Rifle, as well as the Remington 7600 pump action, Browning BLR lever action, and semi-automatic rifles including Remington's Model 7400 and the Browning BAR.