Latin Phrases Patriots Should Know: Patriotic Latin Phrases and Their Translations
You're free to republish or share any of our articles (either in part or in full), which are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. Our only requirement is that you give Ammo.com appropriate credit by linking to the original article. Spread the word; knowledge is power!
We’re not suggesting that you need to learn Latin – although learning new things is always good. However, there is a long tradition of freedom-loving patriots formulating their slogans in Latin ("Audemus jura nostra defendere") or Greek (“Molon Labe”). So while you don’t have to be able to read The Aeneid or The Odyssey in the original language, there are some key phrases you should know so that you can recognize an ally by his bumper sticker in the wild.
The penchant for classical language has a variety of sources. First, there is the affinity of patriots with the republics of the ancient world – the Greek democracies, yes, but the Roman Republic in particular. Second, there is the tendency of the Founding Fathers to be products of the classical education tradition. Thus, they had more than a working knowledge of the languages of antiquity. Third, they just sound cool.
Here’s a list of some of our favorite phrases in Latin and Greek for patriots to know.
Latin Phrases Used in the U.S. Military
Latin Phrases Used in Patriotic America
Philosophical Latin Phrases
Latin Phrases Used by American States
Ammo.com's Resistance Library: Quotes
- Second Amendment Quotes: Pro-Gun Quotes on Individual Freedom and the Right to Bear Arms
- Gun Confiscation Quotes: Quotes About Gun Control from Politicians and Gun Grabbers
- Personal Sovereignty and the State Quotes: Quotes About State Power and Individual Freedom
- Military Wit and Wisdom Quotes: Quotes About Combat and War from the Military
- American Exceptionalism: Quotes About the American Dream and What Makes America Unique
- Freedom of Speech and Political Correctness Quotes: Quotes About the First Amendment
- Warrior Mindset Quotes: Quotes About Mental Toughness and Overcoming Life's Challenges
- Taxes and Free Market Quotes: Quotes About Taxes and Their Impact on the Free Market
- Critical Thinking Quotes: Quotes on the Importance of Developing the Ability to Think Critically
- Military-Industrial Complex: Quotes About Defense Contractors' Insidious Relationship with D.C.
- How Civilizations Fall: Quotes to Remind Us How and Why Empires Collapse
- The Importance of Historical Knowledge: Quotes About Studying and Understanding History
- Privacy and Surveillance: Quotes on How Government Surveillance Destroys Personal Freedom
- Latin Phrases Patriots Should Know: Patriotic Latin Phrases and Their Translations