The Greatest Gun Salesman In America: President Barack Obama
You're free to republish or share any of our articles (either in part or in full), which are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. Our only requirement is that you give Ammo.com appropriate credit by linking to the original article. Spread the word; knowledge is power!
American firearm sales and concealed handgun permit applications were at all-time highs after the 2008 election of President Barack Obama. President Obama's perceived hostility towards gun owners was one of the key factors behind the multi-year financial boom the firearms industry enjoyed throughout his presidency. In fact, the National Rifle Association (NRA) continuously worked to defeat President Obama's 2012 re-election campaign, according to NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre, who said the following at the 2012 Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) in Washington, D.C.:
"Lip service to gun owners is just part of a massive Obama conspiracy to deceive voters and hide his true intentions to destroy the Second Amendment during his second term. We see the president's strategy crystal clear: Get re-elected and, with no more elections to worry about, get busy dismantling and destroying our firearms' freedom, erase the Second Amendment from the Bill of Rights and excise it from the U.S. Constitution...When the sun goes down on election day Barack Obama will have America's gun owners to thank for his defeat."
Ironically, the perceived hostility toward gun owners by President Obama actually helped the firearms industry tremendously. After the 2008 election, more Americans than ever before purchased firearms and ammunition. This has meant massive increases in sales for firearm and ammunition makers, billions more in federal and state tax collections related to guns and ammo, increased demand for specific calibers of already-popular ammunition such as 223 ammo, 9mm ammo and 22 LR ammo, a surge of NRA members, and hundreds of thousands of new Americans carrying concealed handguns.
- Are Guns & Ammo The New Gold? Why More Americans Are Arming Themselves
- The Greatest Gun Salesman In America: President Barack Obama
- Shooting Straight: How Both Presidential Candidates Have Changed On Gun Control
- President Obama: (Still) The Greatest Gun Salesman in America
- An Inconvenient Truth: How The Obama Administration Became Earth's Largest Arms Dealer
- Armed Drones: President Obama's Weapon of Choice
- COVID-19 Data Study: Ammunition Sales Continue to Soar in Response to Coronavirus Panic
- Data Study: 18 Months of Ammo Sales during a Pandemic, Protests, and the Biden Presidency
- Data Study: U.S. Ammo Sales Surge Following Russian Invasion of Ukraine