COVID-19 Data Study: Ammunition Sales Continue to Soar in Response to Coronavirus Panic
For press inquiries related to the data below, please contact Alex Horsman via email at alex(at)ammo.com. For all other inquiries, the fastest way to get a response is here - seriously. Our team is working non-stop to keep up. New inventory is added to our website as soon as we can check it in. Thanks for your patience at this time of stress for all of us.
Updated March 27, 2020: As the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) has spread across the United States, its impact can be seen in every community. Businesses and schools are closed, the stock market is exceptionally volatile, and store shelves are empty as the American public has scrambled to prepare for the worldwide pandemic and social distancing prescribed by the WHO and CDC.
While people have stockpiled toilet paper, hand sanitizer, and pantry essentials, they've also purchased ammunition at an unprecedented rate. Here at Ammo.com, our growth in sales directly correlates with the rise of COVID-19 and its spread across the country. Starting on February 23rd, sales began to increase as the search term “coronavirus” gained traction, according to Google Trends. This increase in sales has continued as follows:
- 777% increase in revenue
- 516% increase in transactions
- 350% increase in site traffic
- 37% increase in conversion rate
- 39% increase in average order value
Note: These figures compare 32 days of sales, February 23 to March 26, to the previous 32 day time period, January 21 to February 22, 2020. Time-permitting, these figures will be updated on an ongoing basis to keep the public abreast of market conditions.
State-by-State Breakdown of Ammo Sale Increases Due to Coronavirus
The table below lists the top 10 states by total sales volume from February 23rd onwards, and their corresponding percentage increase in sales volume when compared to the previous time period. Here is how to interpret that data:
- State Ranking by Sales Volume: Displays the total sales volume on a state-by-state basis in column 1. (Not all states are listed.) And how much percentage-wise sales have increased to that particular state since February 23rd in column 2.
- Most Popular Caliber by Sales Volume: Displays the most popular caliber based on sales volume in that state in column 3. And how much sales of that particular caliber have increased percentage-wise in that particular state since February 23rd. Columns 5 and 7 display the 2nd and 3rd most popular calibers based on sales volume in that state; columns 6 and 8 display how much the sale of those particular calibers has increased on a percentage basis.
Scroll down for a comprehensive breakdown of the effect COVID-19 has had on our recent sales from February 23rd onwards.
|State Ranking by Sales Volume||Most Popular Caliber by Sales Volume||2nd||3rd|
|State||% Increase||% Increase||% Increase||% Increase|
|1. Texas||+812%||9mm ammo||+823%||223 ammo||+2,835%||5.56x45 ammo||+510%|
|2. Florida||+545%||9mm ammo||+719%||223 ammo||+1,197%||5.56x45 ammo||+513%|
|3. Illinois||+796%||9mm ammo||+756%||223 ammo||+1,387%||5.56x45 ammo||+561%|
|4. Georgia||+701%||9mm ammo||+628%||223 ammo||+3,571%||5.56x45 ammo||+1,773%|
|5. Colorado||+1276%||9mm ammo||+1,145%||223 ammo||+4,269%||5.56x45 ammo||+548%|
|6. Arizona||+945%||9mm ammo||+962%||223 ammo||+1,947%||5.56x45 ammo||+812%|
|7. Virginia||+460%||9mm ammo||+571%||223 ammo||+792%||5.56x45 ammo||+224%|
|8. Ohio||+897%||9mm ammo||+643%||223 ammo||+3,281%||5.56x45 ammo||+1,024%|
|9. Washington||+752%||9mm ammo||+1,126%||223 ammo||+2,551%||5.56x45 ammo||+516%|
|10. North Carolina||+544%||9mm ammo||+599%||223 ammo||+1,887%||5.56x45 ammo||+196%|
Note: Due to city and state laws, Ammo.com does not ship ammunition to Alaska, Hawaii, Massachusetts, California, Washington, D.C., New York City, or Chicago. These jurisdictions, along with a handful of other states, have been excluded from the table above.
A Final Customer Note
Our team is working around the clock to try to keep up, as things are pretty wild in the ammo world right now. While we always strive to provide the best customer service and shopping experience possible, we're overwhelmed at the moment. Instead of same-day shipping, it’s taking an average of two to three business days to completely process, package, and ship items.
Thank you for your patience and understanding at this time of stress for all of us. We appreciate your support and will work tirelessly for your satisfaction.
Ammo.com's Resistance Library: Infographics
- Are Guns & Ammo The New Gold? Why More Americans Are Arming Themselves
- The Greatest Gun Salesman In America: President Barack Obama
- Shooting Straight: How Both Presidential Candidates Have Changed On Gun Control
- President Obama: (Still) The Greatest Gun Salesman in America
- An Inconvenient Truth: How The Obama Administration Became Earth's Largest Arms Dealer
- Armed Drones: President Obama's Weapon of Choice
- COVID-19 Data Study: Ammunition Sales Continue to Soar in Response to Coronavirus Panic